I eventually completed my Guild (Dumfries SWD) Guild Challenge piece - Tideline felted panel, though I still need to find some driftwood to create a hanger.
And, finally I got back to doing the next QAYG back panel for the teal / batik quilt. This quilt is proving to be a bit of an experiment or 'technique try out' project. The first back panel was formed by just cutting fabric wedges and sewing then down onto the batting, then infilling the corners. This left the problem of how to sew down the last seam on the 'star burst' - I thought I had it sorted by folding under and sewing it down, but, as you can see unfortunately when quilting the seam go pulled pack in places forming tucks. I'll probably cover this with a thin hand sewn fabric strip.
So, I tried an alternative method for form the 'star burst'. I sewed up a series of wedges to form the two half's of the 'star burst' - then quilted one half onto the batting and 'flipped and stitched' the second half onto the batting. It's working out OK - maybe a little hit and miss in the central area, but nowhere near the bulk that there was in the first panel.
In the meantime though I've decided to sew up a couple of pot holders for some Christmas presents. Here's a sneak peak of one that's almost ready
and, I've some ideas for others
- coffee mug
- tea cup
- mug of hot chocolate
- lemon and/or orange slice
- Dr Who (very topical here in the UK with the 50th anniversary this weekend)
- Star Wars
oh, but the list could grow and grow.......