Monday, 30 January 2012

Free Bee - Feb 2012

A new month looms and new Free Bee block design requirements have been listed.


We are to create a block in the style of Elizabeth Barton's quilts for Mari (The Quilting Edge).  It's to be a quilt block in Elizabeth Bartons style with with an Urban edge.  And Mari has even created two helpful Flickr galleries to inspire us here and here.


Well I can honestly say there isn't anything really Urban here in Dumfries and we are a long way away from any big urban metropolis (unless you consider Carlisle).  So I had a hunt around the internet for some images to inspire me.  Firstly I considered a contemporary dwelling - ditched that idea as being to domestic.  Followed that with a 'urban' image search for Edinburgh before the idea of my home country city came to mind - Belfast.  


Once I'd decided to do a search on Belfast, before I'd even typed in the search requirements I remembered an image I'd seen for the new Titanic Belfast building.  It's a very contemporary building, currently undergoing the final building / commissioning works ready for the official opening on 31st March 2012, in time to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic on 12th April, 2012.


The ice crystal or possibly even prow shape development for Titanic Belfast can be reviewed here.  Showing you how the design/shape was developed from ice crystals, ice berg, reflects the White Star Line insignia, and the shop prow or hull.
This new building is being built in the area of the Titanic slipways and the Harland and Wolff drawing offices where the nautical drawings were prepared.
there were even discussions in recent years about the Harland and Wolff buildings, including the drawing offices being renovated and converted into a hotel, but I don't know what the current status of these proposals is.

Here's an artist's impression of the Titanic Signature Project map 
showing the proximity to the slipways, the drawing office, the SS Nomadic (the last remaining White Star Line vessel).

So with this almost sculptural building in mind I found an image that even included one of the two huge yellow cranes (Samson and Goliath) which dominate the docklands skyline in Belfast 
So after a single search I found the perfect image
Titanic
then I downloaded a free paper piecing software package and prepared a block for piecing purposes

Free Bee Feb 12

So now it's onto fabric selection, freezer paper drawing, maybe a little pattern tweaking here and there, ready for piecing.  So watch out for the finished block in due course.

signature panel

5 comments:

Diane-crewe said...

WOW! Im impressed xx

Esch House Quilts said...

This looks amazing already - can't wait to see it in fabric :)

MariQuilts said...

I'm loving this!! Can you tell me the name of that soft ware for the paper piecing...not that I want to do paper piecing, but what wonderful way to break down a photo.

Anne at Film and Thread said...

I would love to know what software you used, also. This block is going to be amazing!

lil said...

Ethne, would be interested in that program too
can you send me the link please