It's been frustrating and honestly if I hadn't had my fibre crafts and Guild commitments to keep me occupied, I'd probably be bald by now.
Things are still not 100% sorted in the home improvement front - after our holiday we are still awaiting the workmen turning up to finish off the little odds and ends that they haven't completed. It's only when these are done that we can get areas redecorated and reorganized.
This means that the tiny workroom still has overflow from the sunroom, but I've had enough and taken the bull by the horns and finally sorted out a design wall.
Some 25mm thick polystyrene insulation sheets, cut to size and covered in some polyester curtain interlining and held up on the wall using some Command Strips or heavy duty adhesive velcro pads. Now unfortunately as the work room (or play room) is so small, it's very hard to get a good overall view of any blocks that are put up to create a quilt format.
Last night I hunted out the curved strips (cut using Jenny's Quick Curve Ruler), that I started sewing up last summer. I was afraid that those that had been pinned together ready for sewing, and left, would start to have some rust pin spots. Fortunately everything was OK and I sewed up the seams and started placing, and playing around with a possible quilt layout.
Of course the layout is not going to be anything like the original intended design. No, I'm now considering creating a series of QAYG blocks of varying sizes that can be pieced together to form the single panel. The batting is ordered, so after I finish piecing the final batik strips together I'll complete each front block with the teal coloured Kona solid fabric that I bought last year.
Here are blocks 1, 2 and 3 sewn up ready for QAYG:-
There is every likelyhood that the overall layout may change a little when it comes to the final QAYG panels.
In considering the backing fabric of each panel I did consider various Kona solid blue fabrics in my stash but disregarded them as the colours weren't quite right then I found some marble fabrics that I bought years ago
So to go with these three fabrics (each is 1m) I'm dyeing some cotton to go with them -
Now I'm off to pop the fabric into the washing machine and hope that they'll be dry tomorrow, when my batting order is expected, so that I can play tomorrow night and start fabricating a panel for the back of the first 'tester' block.
I have been working on some spinning over the spring and summer months and promise to share photos of the spun fibre along with a felted panel that I'm working on for this years SWD Guild challenge.
Edited to include link to 'Slow Bloggers' with Knotted Cotton.